Scoliosis surgery recovery may take some time to fully heal thus one must always be patient. Scoliosis has become a very common spine condition that any have resorted to surgery and even yoga and pilates to correct the formation of their back. To those with mild condition yoga and pilates might still work but for those with more severe and serious condition surgery might be needed. The surgery can be very dangerous and the spine is a very delicate part of the body that one wrong move can make you paralyzed forever. This is the reason why even after performing a successful surgery there are still some scoliosis surgery recovery steps that you need to keep in mind as you let your wound heal. Here are some preparations and care instructions that you need to keep in mind during your scoliosis surgery recovery period.
• Once you are discharged from the hospital you can actually go home by car but to be safe and careful, ask someone close to you to drive you instead especially if you live far away from the hospital.
• Showering can be done only after 7 days from the time of your surgery. You can take sponge baths or towel wipes during those 7 days if you are uncomfortable with not cleaning yourself. This is important to not during your scoliosis surgery recovery as showering might cause your wounds to re-open and cause infections. You need to take some time for your after-surgery wounds to heal. Also, you need to keep in mind to just let the steri-strips to fall off on their own and do not remove them.
• For full scoliosis surgery recovery you will need to visit your doctor at least once a month. This is to check if your wounds have already healed, if the surgery went successfully, if there were some complications, or if you need to take any medications to help you heal better. During this time, take some notes on changes in what you feel and observe so you can tell your doctor when you meet.
• Food is an essential part of a successful scoliosis surgery recovery. You can go back to your regular diet but make sure to incorporate more protein in your meals now as you need protein to build up your bones again and to make your muscles stronger to be able to support your back. Protein also encourages healing process to speed up your recovery.
• If you are a smoker, quit smoking. Nicotine from tobacco and cigarette products interferes with bone fusion and healing. If you want full scoliosis surgery recovery, you need to quit smoking before you undergo with the surgery to get a successful outcome from the surgery.
These are some of the things you need to remember for a full scoliosis surgery recovery. The surgery can become successful only if you take good care of yourself as well. Remember these guidelines on how to have full scoliosis surgery recovery and get your back in shape.